A Six-Month, Online, Group Apprenticeship for Birth Professionals
Tending Your Heart, Head, and Hands
with Britta Bushnell, PhD
Enrollment for a new 2021 cohort opening soon!
Are you hungry for more support and community as a birth professional?
Do you know you are capable of offering more to the families you work with but not sure how?
Could your business have even more impact and provide greater financial abundance for you and yours?
Are you mystified about how to keep your birth work alive at this point of your personal journey—whether that's because you are not a mother, you are parenting young children, or because of these intense times?
Birth work can be lonely and feelings of isolation are common. We need others. We long for community. Supporting birthing families is profound and hard. In this time of uncertainty and social distance, we all need a circle of fellow heartful professionals—now, more than ever.
Birth work is soul work.
For you to do your soul work, you deserve support that goes beyond a weekend workshop and delves deeper than instruction on how to do a double hip squeeze.
By the end of this six-month, group, online, level-one apprenticeship you will:
- Bring greater creativity and inspiration to your work with families
- Reduce burnout and overwhelm
- Have new skills in your repertoire
- Deepen your capacity
- Feel even more connected to the transformative alchemical process of birth
- See your clients, your role in their lives, and your own inner experience of birth work through the reflective lenses of transformation, rites of passage, metaphor, and story
During this apprenticeship you will receive:
- A community of fellow special birth professionals to be part of your support network on-going
- Accountability for your personal development and growth as a birth professional
- Access to the Transformed by Birth framework to learn and apply new approaches that support your clients (and yourself) through periods of great transformation
- Feel held in a sacred space to integrate personal and professional growth
Here's how it works:
Current program is in session and no longer accepting enrollment. If you'd like to know about future programs, please submit the form above.
This six-month online apprenticeship runs from September 2020 through February 2021.
We gather three Thursdays a month at 10am PT/1pm ET through a LIVE, ONLINE classroom for 60-90 minute sessions.
All sessions will be recorded for those who cannot gather live and stored in our online classroom.
Dates: September 10, 17, 24 • October 8, 15, 22 • November 5, 12, 19 • December 3, 10, 17 • January 7, 14, 21 • February 4, 11, 18
In addition to our live online gatherings, there will be:
• Question & answer sessions
• Small group cohorts to support deeper exploration
• A private Facebook group for apprentices only
• Course materials to support learning
• A special discount for private mentoring sessions with Britta
• Surprise guests and bonus sessions
Heart, Head, and Hands
We center and ground each month around a specific theme and explore the month's theme from the perspectives of the heart (your personal growth), head (your business success), and hands (tactical, practical application of new skills)—one each week—taking the fourth week of the month for reflection, integration, and rest.
Themes include: Transformation and rites of passage • values identification, alignment and inclusion • resilience-building • storytelling, myth, and metaphor • inspiring growth and change • ritual and ceremony
The program is not accepting applications at this time. To be notified when this program opens again, please click below.
This course IS for you if:
- You work with parents as a doula, childbirth educator, midwife, OB, L&D nurse, chiropractor, acupuncturist, therapist, bodyworker, lactation specialist, or yoga teacher
- You recognize that birth work and personal growth are intertwined
- You're looking for expert guidance to take your business to the next level
- You love what you do but may feel some overwhelm, burnout, or doubt
- You want to hone your skills for guiding parents through the transformative journey of birth and new parenthood
- You crave a professional community of fellow growth-seekers
This course is NOT for you if:
- You believe birth work and personal life can be compartmentalized
- Your business is as impactful and successful as you desire
- You avoid situations that require you to stretch and grow
- You believe anti-racism, LGBTQIA inclusion, and intersectionality have no role in birth work
- You think birth work is only knowing data and information
- Personal growth is not your thing
What others are saying about working with Britta:
“What a difference [working with Britta] made in my ability as a doula, to help prepare these parents for their birth! I felt I was able to witness their self-discovery and hold the space for their process, not from a position of authority, but from a place of curiosity and compassion. It was wonderful to watch them confront fears and find equanimity on their own. I have been transformed as a support person through this work, and I am profoundly grateful to have had the opportunity to learn with Britta.”
"Working with Britta was extraordinary. She has functional mastery of her topic and great presentation skills."
~Childbirth Professional (anonymous)
"Britta was engaging and thought provoking. Her content is fresh and exciting."
~Postpartum Doula and Lactation Specialist
Dr. Britta Bushnell (she/her) is a wife and mother, author of Transformed by Birth, veteran childbirth educator, celebrated speaker, mythologist, and specialist in childbirth, relationship, and parenting. For over 20 years, Britta has worked with individuals and couples as they prepare for the life-changing experience of giving birth. Her work with parents and professionals has been enriched by her doctoral work in mythology and psychology, her years spent as a co-owner of and senior facilitator for Birthing From Within, as well as her dedicated study of the Solution-Focused approach to mentoring, storytelling, and workshop facilitation.
Britta's work focuses on the transformational journey of pregnancy, birth, and new parenthood. Using a grounded, honest, and profound as well as playful approach, she helps birth professionals navigate the intersections of birth work and personal transformation with strength, confidence, and depth.
Read more about Britta here.
Who is this apprenticeship for? Is this just for newer doulas? Is this just for more experienced doulas? What about postpartum doulas, childbirth educators, midwives, chiropractors, massage therapist, and yoga teachers?
This is for anyone who works with families during the childbearing period. Intimate programs, like this, are uniquely set up to support folks from a variety of skill sets and experiences. The topics we will cover will support and enhance your professional and personal lives regardless of what your business card says about what you do for families. Everyone who participates in this program will come away personally enriched and professionally deepened.
Are there scholarships available?
Yes! Britta is committed to offering 10% of enrollments in scholarships. That means that we will offer four 25% off scholarships, two 50% off scholarships, or one 100% scholarship for every ten fully paid enrollments. Reach out to apply.
Are spaces limited?
Yes. Britta is limiting the size of this course to maintain intimacy and depth.
Can I pay slowly over time rather than all at once?
Yes. There is a payment plan option that allows you to pay in five monthly installments with the first payment due upon enrollment.
How much time should I plan to devote to this program?
There will be three live sessions a month that will be 60-90 minutes each. That's about four and a half hours a month committed to group session time. Outside of those scheduled sessions, there will be recommended exploration, practice, and exercises to do at your own pace. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it. There will also be opportunities to connect with other apprentices outside of our scheduled group time and special sessions that will be extra and optional. This program will give you a lot of support and accountability. And...it is an apprenticeship. As such it is not meant to be a class you attend and leave. It is designed to connect with and weave into many aspects of your life and work. To get the most out of this program, expect to spend between 10-20 hours a month. Only you can know if now is the time for you to commit to this program. It's a good idea to explore what will enrich and support you rather than add stress. It is the intention for this apprenticeship to enrich, enliven, and engage rather than drain you! Oftentimes, surface exploration can be draining whereas deep work brings energy. The time spent in this apprenticeship will be of the "deep work" variety.
What if I have more questions?
Schedule a free 15 minute call with Britta to talk more personally and explore together if this program is right for you.