Prepare to be Transformed by Birth
Becoming a parent is a powerful journey filled with questions, excitement, some trepidation, and joy. Everywhere you turn you are likely receiving advice about how to birth, parent, feed, and care for your yet unborn child. Navigating the waters of pregnancy and birth can be challenging in the face of so much information and so many good intentions. Frankly, it can be too much. Together in these classes, we go beyond information (although you will learn what's important to know about birth) and into the self-exploration about navigating this powerful threshold crossing into parenting. Your time is valuable and precious. Let's make use of it wisely. Let's go deeper together and prepare you for birth not just in the mind but with your body, heart, and in your closest relationships too.
• Do you want to be deeply connected with your partner for birth and beyond?
• Are you trying to figure out what's right for YOU in the midst of so many opinions about labor, birth, and new parenthood?
• Is being fully prepared for birth really important to you but you're not interested in attending a boring class?
• Are you hungry for community?
If you are looking for classes that educate and prepare you for labor while facilitating deep connection between you and your partner for birth and beyond...
you have found them.
Choose from our in-person and online live childbirth classes
LIVE ONLINE CHILDBIRTH CLASSES
Small group online childbirth classes to create an intimate online experience.
• January 23rd & 30th, SOLD OUT Two Sundays 9am-12:30pm and 2pm-5:30pm (for those due mid February-early April)
Attendance in all sessions required. In addition to the live class time there will be two additional videos to view on your own. (All times are Pacific.) Max 8 couples.
Cost for online classes is $550.
More dates coming soon.
BIRTHING AGAIN WORKSHOP
Contact us for more info
Want to know when dates are added? Sign up for our newsletter.
IN-PERSON WEEKEND IMMERSION*
Small group in-person live childbirth classes to create an intimate group experience.
Weekend childbirth classes take place across two days (Saturday and Sunday) in Santa Monica from 10am-6pm each day.
• February 26th & 27th, SOLD OUT Saturday & Sunday 10am-6pm* (for those due late March-early May)
• April 23rd & 24th, Saturday & Sunday 10am-6pm* (for those due late May-early July)
Immersions are $750 per birthing individual (partner included). Max 6 couples.
(*Covid vaccination required for all participants attending in person. All welcome in our online courses.)
COST AND REGISTRATION
Some scholarship spaces available. Contact us for details.
QUESTIONS? See FAQ below or reach out today.
Workshop space and restrooms are wheel chair accessible. A variety of seating material is available to accommodate differing needs. If you have specific concerns, please contact us.
These classes are NOT for those:
Looking to watch classes on their own schedule as these classes are live, not recorded
Interested in passive learning as these classes are interactive
Looking to be told how they should give birth by an authority figure
Uncomfortable with the use of inclusive language
These classes are for those:
Interested in going deeper into the transformative journey inspired by birth and new parenthood
Wishing to engage with other parents on the journey toward birth and are open to learning about and from others on a similar path
Desiring to prepare for birth fully and also recognize that events can and sometimes do occur in ways other than we hope and expect
Wanting their partnership/relationship to play a key role in their birth and postpartum experience
PRIVATE or SEMI-PRIVATE CHILDBIRTH PREPARATION
Do you have a difficult schedule, need privacy, or want to take classes according to your own availability or with friends? Private or semi-private classes might be for you. These classes take place at Britta's private studio in Santa Monica at a mutually arranged time. Private workshops meet for 9 hours in either two 4.5-hour sessions or three 3-hour sessions. Semi-private workshops accommodate up to three couples for 12 hours in either two 6-hour sessions or three 4-hour sessions. Availability is limited.
Private workshops are $4,500 and semi-private workshops are $5,000.
1. When should I take your class?
It is best to complete your classes by 36 weeks gestation. Since classes are only offered about every 6 weeks, aim to start classes between 30-36 weeks. When everyone in the same class is due in a two month window it adds to the intimacy of the group through the shared camaraderie of being in a similar pregnancy moment.
2. Can my partner attend with me or is this class just for me?
Childbirth and childbirth classes are for BOTH of you! These classes are designed to support the birthing parent and their partner.Each parent experiences birth in their own way and preparation is important for both of you. You will get the most out of the classes when you attend with your intimate partner or with another person who will be part of your labor/postpartum support system.
3. What's covered?
- Physiology of labor and birth
- Working with your partner through contractions or when things get hard
- Hormones of labor and why they matter
- How to get the info and make decisions in the midst of labor
- Cesarean birth
- Hands-on support and positions for labor
- Navigating unexpected or unwished for situations
- Postpartum preparation
- Metaphors to support you in the process of labor, birth
- And much more!
4. What's not covered?
- Breastfeeding/chestfeeding: If breastfeeding/chestfeeding is something you wish to do, we encourage you to take a class specifically dedicated to teaching this dynamic skill/relationship. Understanding the basics prior to birth is helpful as is developing a relationship with a lactation consultant you can reach out to after birth in the event you need more support.
- Newborn care: If you or your partner are not familiar with caring for a newborn, taking an infant care class can be a great thing to do together.
- Infant CPR: Highly recommended.
5. Is your class for first time parents only?
There are two different types of classes: complete preparation classes and refresher classes. The complete preparation classes are for those who have not birthed before, who want to do a full preparation course even if they have birthed before or are looking for a very different type of experience this time around, or for those couples for whom one partner has birthed before and one has not. Refresher classes are for those who have birthed before and want to do a shorter class that refreshes preparation for this new baby and birth without addressing the nuts and bolts of physiology and birth mechanics. You get to decide which suits you best.
6. Are your classes mainly for people planning to birth at home?
No. Deciding where to give birth is a personal choice based on many factors. There is not one single best way to birth for all people. These classes support YOU to make choices that feel best to you. Our classes usually have a mix of intended birth locations including home, birth center, and hospital. One size does not fit all. These classes are for those who understand that birth can be a transformative experience regardless of where or how you give birth.
7. Are your classes recorded for viewing at another time?
No. These classes are to be attended live. They are interactive and engagement is encouraged.
8. Do you discuss potential complications like cesareans?
Yes. Cesareans are always covered. One in three babies in the U.S. is born surgically. Surgical birth can be a path birth takes whether expected or not. As such, it is essential to address this form of birthing.
9. If I can't pay the whole fee at once, may I still register and make payments?
Yes you can pay a deposit to hold your spot with the balance due prior to the start of the first class.
10. What if I still have questions?
Reach out to us and we will do our best to help you!